Your Next Digital Project
Digi-Key Part #
74HC573 octal latch
74HC165 shift register
75HC74 dual D flip-flop
16.0 MHz TTL oscillator
2N3904 NPN transistor
1,000 Ω resistor
470 Ω resistor
1.5K Ω resistor
22 Ω resistor
3.3K Ω resistor
10K Ω resistor
4. 7 µF electrolytic cap.
0.1 µF bypass capacitor
14 pin header (7x2x.1)
RCA video jack
Two pin header (1x2x.1)
Three pin header (1x3x.1)
Note: All parts are available online from www.digikey.com
A preprogrammed ATmega8 controller ($9.99) and an etched
PCB ($19.99) are available from the author. Contact him via
Table 1. Parts List
These commands are always “mapped in” and available,
regardless of font or mode selection (see Table 2).
The primary font is enabled by using code $F2. The
extended ASCII characters can be printed by enabling
the Upper 128 mode ($F1). When the Upper 128 mode
is enabled, sending bytes from $00-$7F will generate the
corresponding graphics characters. Enabling the Lower
128 mode ($F0) will restore the standard ASCII characters. Since the first 32 bytes of the ASCII standard are non-printed control codes, some extra graphical characters
EASY TO USE CAD TOOLS
Schematic and PCB Layout
• Powerful and flexible schematic capture.
• Auto-component placement.
• Rip/entry PCB routing.
• Polygonal gridless ground planes.
• Library of over 8000 schematic and 1000 PCB foot prints.
• Bill of materials, DRC reports and more.
Mixed Mode SPICE Circuit Simulation
• Berkeley SPICE3F5 simulator with custom extensions for true
mixed mode and interactive simulation.
• Six virtual instruments and 14 graph based analysis types.
• 6,000 models including TTL, CMOS and PLD digital parts.
• Fully compatible with manufacturers’ SPICE models.
Proteus VSM - Co-simulation & debugging for popular Micro-Controllers
• Supports PIC16 & PIC12, AVR, 8051, HC11 and ARM micro-controllers.
• Co-simulate target firmware with your hardware design.
• Includes interactive peripheral models for LED and LCD displays,
switches, keypads, virtual terminal and much, much more.
• Provides source level debugging for popular compilers and
assemblers from Hi Tech PICC, Crownhill, IAR, Keil and others.
MicroChip PIC 18
• Supported models of the PIC 18 includes PIC18F242, PIC18F252,
PIC18F442, PIC18F452, PIC18F248, PIC18F258, PIC18F448 and
Basic Stamp BS1 and BS2
• Proteus VSM for BASIC Stamp contains everything you need to
develop and simulate designs based around the BASIC Stamp.
• See examples in downloadable Demo at
“I finished my first design, schematic and PCB in one day.”
“What a great tool! I love it.” DAN GILL
“For the cost of the software compared to the productivity gains, I consider Proteus to be
pivotal in the commercial viability of my company and by far represents the best value
for money of anything Tempus possesses.” ROB YOUNGS, Tempus Consulting
“PROTEUS stands out as the best all-round program in this review. Other programs
reviewed have strengths in the pcb design process, Proteus maintains a constant high
level of capability throughout. Whether a schematic, user-friendly interactive routing,
configurable autoplacing, competent autorouteing, or a combination of the above,
PROTEUS handles everything very well.” Electronic & Wireless World CAD Review Roundup
Save Time. Save Money.
Proteus Starter Kit – $199 • Full System – $1899
“This is clearly superior in every respect.”
R4 SYSTEMS INC.
www.labcenter-electronics.com Tel: 905•898•0665 email@example.com
Circle #53 on the Reader Service Card.