■ FIGURE 9. Mike Scioli test fits the
top plate on the kiosk.
■ FIGURE 10. Paul Atkinson assembling
the “back boxes” for each kiosk panel.
■ FIGURE 11. The Propeller Demo Board
hand from the sonar sensor.
The PIANO window (Figure 5)
would provide an audible response to
the sonar range readings. A drawing
of a piano keyboard would be placed
behind the window and LEDs placed
behind each piano "key" to indicate
what note is being played. A speaker
would be mounted in the middle of
the window so the visitor could hear
the notes as they play. Bringing a hand
close to the display would cause the
piano to play notes that increase in
pitch, and lower pitches would play as
the hand moved away.
Once I had the three windows
defined, I decided I would keep some
of my original design criteria such as
placing three windows per panel and
having each window at a different
level to accommodate different
viewing heights (children/adults/wheel
chairs). The windows would be
placed in an offset configuration to
accommodate multiple visitors at
once. For example, a parent could
interact with the top window while a
small child could stand in front of the
parent and play with the bottom
window. The middle window would
be off-set to the side to allow
someone to stand next to the
parent/child and easily interact with
the middle window. To make each
window type accessible to all three
height levels, they would rotate
positions on each panel. For example,
Panel 1 would have the Star in the top
location; Panel 2 would have the Star
in the middle; and Panel 3 would have
the Star on the bottom. A person of
any height would only need to walk
around the kiosk to experience all of
the different window types at the
height they prefer (or require).
In order to make the unit function
no matter the lighting level of the
venue, I planned to install CCFT
lights in each window that could be
switched on and off by the microcontroller. This would allow the visitor
to see the inner workings of the
machine even in low-light situations.
As I worked on the design, I sent
progress updates to the museum folks
to make sure we stayed on the same
page. After a few weeks, we settled
on a design we could all agree upon.
It was time to get busy and build it.
LETS MAKE SOME
The final design called for a three-
■ FIGURE 13. The schematic for
the driver boards.
■ FIGURE 12. The Propeller Proto
Board after circuit transfer.